Battle Dress


Red Battle Dress

Susan Pevensie’s red battle dress was the inspiration for this dress–only I modified it into a more Lord of the Rings style.  Let me explain 🙂  Susan’s dress, as are most of her dresses, is  princess-seamed.  And the slits in her dress are made by leaving two of the front princess seams unattached part of the way down the skirt.  (See here and here for pictures that show what I mean.)  However, most LOTR dresses are fitted through side seams.  So I did that with this dress and put the slits in the sides. I had some problems with making the slits at first, but eventually, I just cut the skirt pieces and sewed them to the bodice, but didn’t sew them up the sides.  That gave a fuller skirt than slitting a dress up both sides.  The dress is actually made from the same burgundy crushed panne velvet as the Cranberry Dress–only this time I used the other side of the material.  Underneath is worn a red pleated underskirt of a thinner cloth.

As for the armor, instead of Susan’s Battle Armor, that she wears with this dress in the movie, I paired the dress with her Night Raid Armor, which is her leather cuirass with thin leather over  the shoulders.  (I really like her Night Raid outfit, and I also didn’t have anything on hand that would work for chainmail–maybe I’ll make a chainmail shirt as part of another doll outfit :D)

The doll’s cuirass is laced up the sides with cord I made from dark brown thread.  I left off all Susan’s fashionable straps and buckles 🙂 and added shoulder straps made from the same leather as the cuirass.

Chase Dress


Chase Dress

This is also known as the Riding outfit.  Arwen wears this pretty and practical “Lord of the Rings” dress when she saves Frodo from the Ringwraiths and brings him to Rivendell.

In lieu of swede, I used a grey T-shirt fabric, and finished the edges with Fray-Check: I think it gives a pretty good look.  I had a good pattern, but it was still a rather complicated project.  It’s the first dress I’ve made that has princess seams.  The skirt was pretty easy and looks really cool.  The bodice and sleeves were…harder.  Lots of little pieces to keep track of, fitting, modifications….   But I think it came out well 🙂

The princess seams are modified so the seam is at the shoulder.  A seam runs down the front of the bodice and the dress pulls over the doll’s head.  Embroidery floss was used for the laced ties in front, and there’s a ribbon sash in the back.  The coat sleeves are 2-piece, the lower part being petal wrapped.  The skirts (my favorite part) are actually 2 petal shapes, slightly overlapping in front and back.  Attached to the main dress/coat are flared, white lower sleeves, and a white underskirt, that’s also split in front and back, (made from a pair of tights with a crinkle texture).  Brown leggings are worn underneath.

%d bloggers like this: